Friday, January 6, 2012

Orange Goodness from SmithGangs Christmas Eve pickins

                          Christmas Eve The Smith Gang took off and visited a family farm here in South Georgia that has been able to Grow Oranges. I met a lady several years ago who planted Orange seeds in our town in 1955 She was 39 years old at the time,from seeds from our local Harvery's Grocery Store, just a bag of oranges from Florida, they told her they would never Grow here but boy were they wrong !, Her trees are beautiful and  were successful:)
She has 2 huge Orange trees and several Tangerine trees. She finished planting her last tree at 93 before she died a couple years later,It was a Lemon tree. Her Family says she just had such a Green Thumb and loved to see things grow she also planted more than 83 pecan trees. I spent  a year with this 9o+ woman and Love and miss her dearly but always try to return to visit and pick Oranges with her family on Christmas Eve.Her birthday was on Christmas DAY !
We laughed ,picked and visited her sweet family. The guys enjoyed using the Homemade poles to get them off the Trees.If you have picked Oranges you know the trees have huge thorns and should not be taken lightly lol.
Daddy Tim would pluck um down and the boys would grab them.Made a fun game !Each took a turn tho.
We had a farm visitor that came up for belly rubbing,their dog had the bluest eyes..
This is our sweet Grandbaby Sophia's first time going to pick.We picked nearly 50 pounds ,Gifted alot for Christmas, Juiced a good many,then came my prize I made several batches of Marmalades and Jams. The regular Orange marmalade my brother-in-law loves,he sometimes just heats it back up and pours on pancakes. One night I had saved some peelings and candied them and made Chocolate dipped Orange Peels off a Pinterest Recipe.YUMMY !

I also made Cranberry Orange Marmalade I used a few jars in a Cranberry Pork Roast Crockpot Recipe also found on Pinterest . I was so proud because My Gang gave me a Crockpot for Christmas so I don't have to stand too long cooking ,(thinking of my back ,they are toooo SWEET! )The Smith Gang says we are keeping that recipe and it was so EASY !





































2 comments:

  1. You do so much Cindi. You are a wonderful Mother and homemaker. I bet the oranges were so good but, I bet your jam and marmalade's were so, so good..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tagged you in a few questions. If you want to play along here is the link http://afamilyoflooneys.blogspot.com/2012/01/tag.html

    ReplyDelete