Monday, April 16, 2012

Happenings On the Farm


       With the ending of our English Pea season we just pulled up the whole vine brought it to the Porch and picked the peas right off!! Now that beats back bending :D !!
We are just so thrilled how they filled out

I think they have the cutest little flowers

I shelled and shelled, this is hard for me because just like crocheting ,it puts me to
 SLEEP:)
So RELAXING !
Our 2012 English Pea total for  the freezer was 12 quarts , not bad for our first time and only .35cents worth of seed:)

Sophia and I have been picking Clover to feed the Rabbits.They love it .Sophias  walking has taken off.She definately goes where she wants now. lol



Just loving the moment.

Watching MySmitty cut the Pasture

He was making a path so we could walk the pasture and see snakes if we walked up on one. Rattlesnacks seems to be our pastures choice of snakes:/

Love how all the trees are now so full and Green

One of our tiny Corn Patches this year we decided to scatter corn all over the different garden patches.

Heres another several weeks behind the other.
This one is not grown on the plastic wanted to see how it does.

Just loving this beautiful Potatoe Patch I sure fretted over it for several days . Why ? look at picture below!

My goodness those Potatoe Bugs moved in  and were eating the patch so quick. We really didn't want to use a chemical but we had to put seven dust on them.

These bugs are not your friends !

The dusting helped the next day thewhole patch was bug free.We usually never add anything but manure on our plants so this kinda concerned me.The newpaper mulch has really helped keep the weeds out I have been just amazed!

Tiny little Potatoe Blooms are popping up everywhere. We must be doing something right.This is our first Potatoe Patch.

Tim signed me up last year for a Birthday Package to receive seeds monthy for a year. It has been so exciting each month to see what I will get from them each month.

This month I received 2 kinds I have never seen this ought to be a fun challenge, the Cress and Borage I have never heard of. Hope they grow well here.
This is a nice pot of my homemade Washing Liquid simmering , I really LOVE making my own Laundry detergent now.So easy and so much cheaper.You can find the recipe here http://www.ehow.com/how_2054303_homemade-laundry-detergent.html , my sisnlaw made us all some one year for christmas been hooked every since .
While the laundry detergent simmered I made an egg custard for the first time ,been making Pies lately. the guys were like umm mom this is alittle to gooey for us. Funny thing tho they loved the Buttermilk Pie think I'll just stick to making that:)



I was so excited Friday while Tim and I were on our Lunch date Friday, I found him this grapevine to add to the Farm, we had been talking about working on adding fruits to the Farm .we have planted 2 fig trees and the Banana tree  , well sprig lol , it came back up  , so this is a nice addition.

Here is the variety its a Sunbelt Grapevine .I like the name seeing how we do have The Sunbelt Ag EXPO here in our town in Georgia . I thought nicely Priced, Wally World had some for $10, so Lowes was a blessing:)

Now to pick a perfect spot:)Oh yeah found the Sweet Potatoe Vines ,geez these were hard to find , the store has constantly sold out each shipment. I have never planted them so I had no eyes to plant.O another First for us, see the little tomatoe plant its a Black Cherry Tomatoe kinda excited to see if these will grow here it is a Beautiful Plant. 


Hope you enjoyed some of the happenings around the
Smith Gangs Farm,
Love from Our Gang

2 comments:

  1. You have been one busy Lady. It is amazing all the things you guys are growing. That Sophia is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is and such a doll. We are having a blast with all the planting and the animals. Tim has been working hard trying to build pens , we r getting lucky picking up deals with the small animals.he said seems the arc is growing faster than he thought. Lol.

      Delete