Thursday, August 23, 2012

Around the farm with some UPS and *DOWNS*

Feeding time with Wilbur and Wallie

Can be a challenge sometimes and can have me laughing so HARD !!!
If they get a chance to get their snouts in my Black Bucket I'm holding and believe me they WILL:)
They have gotten so so fast and strong .
Then thats when the laughter begins ,with me trying to get that Black bucket from them. Sometimes until they are ready for a water break I just have to hold on tight till they let it go ! I forsee me coming back to the house with a good dose of PIG MANURE on
My Bottom End !

I must be doing something right thou because they have fat little tummies. There was a week or 2 they just didnt seem to want to eat then I read an article about them being known as Eggsuckers so I started putting 2 eggs  in there feed a 2x day and boy did they start eating UP ! Now I just give 1 egg a feeding and split the eggshells from our breakfast with them and the chickens. They have really started Growing . I could stay down there with them all day just watching them.It's funny when the pigs here me talking in our back yard they start Squealing to tell me Come down here to Our Pen and stay with US:)
Ya know you can do alot of thinking down there with them!!
To me its just so Peaceful under the trees watching them.


Meet Double "D"
What a cute Buck Dusty brought me.
He came with an awesome homemade big pen.
Show pics soon.
I still have a long way to go on learning the in and outs of Raising Rabbits .
On the down side for the Farm our 5 little newborns didn't make it:(
I got 2 bred momas right now thou due around Sept.9th.
One bred by Double D and one bred by Thumper

The Chickens have Grown so much
its unreal to me how fast they have grown.
We move their Pen about every 4 days to have new Grass.
Having 2 tiny poodles of 13 years ,we can't let them roam around the farm.We have had one snapping at the pen for a week before I broke that behavior.

This is a Sunflower that come up from some Chickens left over lunch of Black Oil sunflower seeds.
I think it just looks so beautifully placed there:)
We don't have a rooster at this time, so we have
officialy bought our FIRST bag of Laying Mash.
I sooooo want a Rooster .

The work on the Man Barn Continues
My Cottage Barn will come someday lol
Course knowing me I will invade that Man Barn more than once ;)
One the left side of this barn the Chickens will have a new run and a great place to lay eggs.

I have been picking the Roses for more Rose Petal jelly
got a batch in the fridge soaking for 24hours as we speak
LOVE THIS JELLY

Beautiful Red Layers
I think the cold Coffee and Banana Peels have reallly been helping them grow better

Just so Delicate looking
I hope to add some new color roses soon

Our GrandDaughters first day of Preschool

Last Wednesday I joined my Daddy on my very First Cow Sale!
Now that I am staying at home watching over the Farm fulltime the Pecan season has become my income.
This year our trees are in their off season but I am so hoping i can bring in enough to purchase my first cow.
I so Enjoyed the Auction
But let me just tell ya
COWS ARE EXTREMELY HIGH RIGHT NOW !!!!!
Even calfs are going for $500.00+
I will do extremely good if I manage one at that price with our expected low yeild of pecans this year.


These 2 beauties were born last weekend
beautiful in color and we were thrilled but
there were some problems and they didn't make it :(
Farm life can be hard!

Our nanny left them
and we didn't catch the birth in time
hubby worked with her ,she had a blocked tit
and the babies by the time we found them were too weak:(
I have alot of reading to do on goats and being better prepared next time. We thought about selling her but have decided we would breed her one more time .
Guess if my pecan season yields too low on income I can pick up a few new nannies ,I truly love the LaMancha Breed they are just so sweet natured and suppose to be great milkers .Hoping my son will get working on that milk stand soon or I'm just going to have to pick me up my own Pink Hammer from Town !!:)

Hope you Enjoyed the Around the Farm Ups and Downs
May you have a Wonderful Hump Day
Love from My Gang to Yours


8 comments:

  1. What a great post. And photos. I'm so interested in the pigs because that's on our list for next year.

    It's true that so much learning comes the hard way, by experience. Very sad about your baby goats but sometimes death happens even when we do our best. There are so many unexpected things that can happen, it's hard to be prepared for it all. Until we learn by experience. It really is the best teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh for your compliment:) the Pigs are a first for me since I was 12 but I remember a lot. course I'm still very blessed to have my Daddy on his farm next door for advice.
      Now Wilbur n Wallie both have hernias , they were given to me that way. They were kinda headed for the murder culling block but I asked for them only because I knew my Daddy knows how to operate and fix that so I have one major learning day coming up , hope I don't faint. Dad can only instruct hubby n I due to his health.
      Both my young sons are being taught now how to hog hunt , their puppy for hog hunting was born this past weekend.
      Chase the youngest son in 7 th grade in DCS gets his very first Show Hog this coming up weekend so we are Diffenately going to be schooled in pigs soon , hope we pass lol.

      Delete
  2. The piggies are so so cute!!! :D We all enjoy your blog so much. Way to go on the fried turtle!!! :D

    Much love,

    Adeline, for all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you all , its been a beautiful way to look back at the records of things accomplished and things to achieve here.

      My power supply is out on my pc , so unfortunately other than viewing others on my phone I Will not be posting for several weeks.

      Take care to all, the Smiths

      Delete
  3. I love those little pigs and their names! The roses in the basket are so lovely! I have never heard of rose petal jelly.......bet it tastes wonderful. Here in Texas, we have mesquite bean jelly which is very good. Did your little granddaughter enjoy her first day of pre-school? So sorry to hear about the little goats. Farm life is full of hard times. So enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ty, you really ought to hear me call them you would so laugh, they kids really pick at me . We love the jelly, now you really have me wanting to know more bout that bean jelly. Please share that recipe if u can.
      My power supply is down on my pc so if will be a couple weeks before I blog again .I can read by phone only. I sure am missing it.

      Delete
  4. I think it is so cool what you have at the farm Cindy. The pigs are so cute. I am sorry about the baby goats. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete